To combat insurance fraud, many states and the federal government are writing stringent “anti-kickback” laws and statutes. To ensure that we are in alignment with current laws in regard to referrals, Best Choice Network adheres to the following standards and practices:
1. WE MAKE BROAD RECOMMENDATIONS, NOT REFERRALS: We will not attempt, through our standard questions or through any other means, to steer an inquirer to any particular facility. We will list various institutions that we represent, and provide basic information about that institution. We will not ask or force the inquirer to choose any particular one. It is up to the individual to choose which one(s) would be the best for them and their own situation;
2. WE CANNOT ASSESS THE INDIVIDUAL: We will not provide nor will we represent ourselves as providing diagnostic, legal, or psychological services. We will not provide assessments of academic, mental, psychological, or medical status or well-being of potential residents, nor will we make any promises or guarantees of cure or remedy of such issues by any particular organization. We cannot assess whether a potential resident may be suicidal, or prone to self-harm, nor guarantee that they will not harm of others or the facility of the institution they choose to enroll in. Such assessments are totally the responsibility of the institution and other outside professionals which have no connection to our services;
3. WE CANNOT TRANSPORT: We cannot directly arrange for transportation of a child to or from the location of a health care provider or health care facility. Some regulators see this as an unfair ability to force placement into one particular institution, so this is not something we will participate in, though we will give options of various transport services that we have worked with before that seemed to do a good job;
4. WE ARE PAID SET FLAT FEES: Our fees are set in advance as an outsourced and contracted sales position of the institution. Such contracted fees are consistent with the fair market value of such services. They are not based on a percentage of the amount charged for the resulting services of the institution. We do not accept added incentives, gifts or kickbacks from any institution for pushing up costs or services or for choosing to push one institution over another;
5. CONTRACTED EXTENSION OF THE INSTITUTION: Under an Agency Agreement we work with all institutions such that we are an extension of their intake or admission department, not an outside broker. We are paid a flat fee only if we accomplish adding an enrollment for the institution. This is payment for performance is similar to what an in-house salesperson would receive as incentive for making a “sale”. Our contracted services never include added incentive or kickbacks designed to drive up costs or to increase the resulting fees paid by the resident;
6. NO OWNERSHIP, GIFTS OR REDUCED FEE SERVICES: We have absolutely no ownership interest in any of the institutions we work with, nor do any of our immediate relatives or other companies we may be associated with. We gain no gifts nor services from institutions we are contracted with that would be reduced in value or free, in exchange for promoting them. As a company and as individuals and sub-contractors within the company, we receive no other means of compensation other than the flat fee paid by the institution per resident that we help them enroll there, as already identified above.